Tuesday, August 07, 2007

An Illuminating Review


Continuing the literary theme for a bit

When Jeff Bojar attorney extraordinaire at Snell & Wilmer passed along his recent review of Marc Zimmer’s Glowing Genes: A Revolution in Biotechnology I was quickly transported to a time when I was helping to create a series of Plakoglobin deletion mutants to be used for experiments in deriving the adhesive and signaling functions of the molecule. Each construct in this series had the good old GFP cloned in. When I saw those puppies light up a wonderful fluorescent green glow for the first time I was simply floored, and I continue to be blown away by each new biotechnological innovation. It is a blessing to be positioned to observe all that I am able to observe from the halls of academia to the shelves of commercialization.

It is not my intention to ‘review the review’ here but if the sign of a good review is that it motivates one to read the book, well let’s just say as soon as I complete this post I plan to click over to Amazon and place my order.

To read Jeff’s full review please click (here) for the .pdf

Here is a taste…

"As evidenced by biomedical equipment manufacturer Beckman Coulter’s recent acquisition of Lumigen, a Michigan chemiluminescence company, for $185 million in cash, bioluminescence has come of age. Glowing Genes: A Revolution in Biotechnology describes the incremental phases of the evolution of bioluminescence technology from the days when investigators paid children to collect fireflies for the McElroy lab and jellyfish for the Shimomura lab to today when green fluorescent protein (GFP) is used in virtually every molecular biology lab. In recounting the story, Zimmer implicitly reminds us of, and makes the case for, the importance of the Federal government’s continued funding of basic science research."

To read Jeff’s full review please click (here) for the .pdf

No comments: